The natural splendor of South America comes in many forms, all well worth exploring:
- The Galapagos is a wonder of the world with its numerous, unique wildlife species.
- The wide cascades of Iguazu Falls are mesmerizing. Stroll the boardwalks for incredible views then enjoy a jet boat ride beneath the falls.
- Spectacular Patagonia features deserts, steppes, grasslands, glaciers, waterfalls and the southern Andes Mountains for a wide range of outdoor experiences.
- Chile’s diverse geography includes the fjords of the inside passage, legendary Cape Horn, the glaciers of the Beagle Channel, the Lake District with its volcanos and the unusual eco-region of the Atacama Desert.
- The wine districts of Chile and Argentina offer a peaceful retreat with many wineries featuring fine restaurants and accommodation.
- The Amazon region with is tropical rainforests, tributaries and wildlife is the world’s largest river basin and rainforest.
- Mystical Macchu Pichu, the Inca city high in the Andes, is a cultural masterpiece set in a stunning location.
- Wildlife encounters are numerous in the distinctive areas of South America. For more on this see this month’s Top Ten list of thrilling wildlife encounters.
Combine these natural places and experiences with lively, modern cities each with its own special character and you have a destination that is sure to please.
Urban attractions range from culinary experiences to tango classes; world class museums to iconic landmarks; excellent shopping and markets to busy nightlife.
Two of the most splendid cities are Rio and Buenos Aires:
- The marvels of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil are spellbinding! With its magnificent mountains, Sugarloaf and Corcovado, and world famous beaches, Ipanema and Copacabana; this is arguably the world’s most beautiful city. The Statue of Christ that watches over Rio sits atop Corcovado offering an unsurpassed panoramic view of the city which is breathtaking.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina is often called the Paris of South America because of its European atmosphere. The beautiful Casa Rosada is the residence of Argentina’s President, the centrepiece of the city’s many stately buildings. Head for the colorful Boca district to catch tango dancers performing in the street or enjoy this dance that evolved here at a dinner show.
South America is the answer for whatever type of vacation you have in mind, there’s so much to experience on this remarkable continent.