Food and Wine at Sea & Ashore
Exquisite cuisine served in elegant dining rooms, complemented by a choice of fine wine from around the globe; dining is an epicurean delight aboard ship and the food and wine experience doesn't stop there. Turn your cruise into a special interest vacation by taking advantage of food and wine events. Here's a round up of some of the tantalizing options offered by our preferred partners.
On Board Cooking Demonstration.
Photo: Silversea Cruises
Classes and Demonstrations
With celebrity master chefs heading up cruise line culinary departments, the interest in learning more about food and wine while aboard ship has become very appealing. Entertaining and informative, it's always a pleasure to attend a food or wine event and most ships have a cooking demonstration and wine tasting during each sailing. Here are some of the more comprehensive programs available:
- Holland America Line - The Culinary Arts Centers offer entertaining cooking classes in theatre-style kitchens on every cruise with celebrity chefs scheduled to appear on many sailings. Wine tasting and pairing seminars and mixology classes are part of the comprehensive program as well as cooking classes for kids and teens.
- Oceania Cruises - The Bon Appétit Culinary Centers, aboard Riviera and Marina, are the only hands-on cooking schools at sea. Expand your knowledge of local cuisine with expert Master Chefs who provide instruction in the professional kitchen atmosphere. The 12 individual cooking stations are manned by two guests per station.
- Celebrity Cruises - The Celebrity Life on board entertainment program includes plenty of sessions for foodies and wine aficionados: Star Chefs Cooking Competition, Mixology 101, the Art of Food and Wine Pairing, Wine Crystal Workshop and Wine Appreciation 101.
- Silversea Cruises - L'École des Chefs Cooking School by Relais & Châteaux aboard Silversea is the first at sea. You'll learn from the best at the cooking demonstrations, wine pairing seminars, a cooking and lunching event, market tours for fresh ingredients and cooking competitions.
Lunch with a view.
Photo: Silversea Cruises
Food & Wine Theme Cruises
On these special sailings, world-renowned chefs and wine experts come on board to share their talents through lectures, demonstrations, special meals and wine tasting throughout the cruise.
- Crystal Cruises' Food and Wine Festivals are one of the most sought after culinary events at sea. Festivals take place around the globe with ten planned for 2012-2013.
- Silversea Cruises presents Culinary Arts Voyages and Wine Series Voyages throughout the year. On Silver Shore excursions to Relais & Châteaux boutique properties, world-renowned chefs reveal their remarkable talents.
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises' Spotlight on Food, Wine and Spirits sailings let you learn the secret techniques of celebrated chefs and wine experts.
- Celebrity Cruises' Immersive Wine Cruises feature guest Vintners on board to help further your appreciation of wine and an array of wine-related activities.
Wine Shore Excursion.
Photo: Silversea Cruises
Food & Wine Shore Excursions
Through our preferred cruise lines and our On Location experts around the world, we can arrange some spectacular food and wine experiences while you're in port. Take a look at these examples of excursions in this month's featured destination, the Mediterranean:
- Shopping with the ChefSM - Aboard the yachts of Seabourn, you can join the chef for a wander through local markets to find the freshest ingredients for the day's meals. Available in select ports around the world.
- A Taste of Greece - Join in a private Greek cooking lesson at the hilltop "Villa of Roses" on the island of Corfu.
- Castellet and Wine Tasting with Lunch - From Marseille, visit the village of Le Castellet and dine at La Farigoule, a Provencal style restaurant. Visit Domaine de Souviou to tour the vineyards and taste the local wines, red, white and rosé
- Positano and Lunch at La Taliata - From Amalfi, drive the spectacular coast road to Positano and Mt. Pertuso for a lunch at La Tagliata. Set on three terraces of gardens with dining areas overlooking the coast. Enjoy a meal of local organically grown vegetables, free-range meat and local specialties.
The Ultimate Experience for Gourmands and Wine Connoisseurs
Indulge your passion for fine dining and fine wine with private dining experiences aboard ship:
- Le Champagne with Silversea - The only Wine Restaurants by Relais & Châteaux at sea let you indulge in an evening of fine wines complemented by a six-course tasting menu of regionally inspired dishes.
- La Reserve with Oceania - Oceania Cruises' Marina and sister-ship Riviera, which enters service this spring, offer a seven-course gourmet dinner paired with premium wine at La Reserve. The exclusive epicurean experience is for a maximum of 24 guests.
- The Grill Class Restaurants with Cunard - The exceptional cuisine and exemplary service of the Queens Grill and Princess Grill Restaurants are a major attraction for those sailing in Grill Class suites. Here the a la carte menu is merely a guide as chefs strive to fulfil individual culinary requests.
- The Vintage Room with Crystal - For an outstanding culinary/wine experience with a twist, book the Vintage Room. This private dining room features special menus where the food is prepared to suit a selection of rare wines. Offered several times each cruise to groups of up to 14 guests.
Cruising is definitely an excellent choice if you're looking for a wine and food focused vacation.
By Susan Milne