Adventure Alaska Style
Want to get away from it all and be at one with nature? Alaska's definitely the place for you. Our preferred partners offer a wide variety of amazing experiences which will take you into the remote wilderness, waterways and glaciers of Alaska. Take a look at these exciting options.
By Land, Sea and Air
Adventure tours of Alaska involve thrilling flightseeing by fixed wing plane or helicopter, land based activities like hiking and dog sledding as well as river rafting, kayaking and wildlife viewing. There's fun to be had on land, sea and air in Alaska:
- Northern Lights in the Last Frontier - Marvel at the colours of the Aurora Borealis as they dance across the night sky. You can see them at various times of the year but winter is the best. Witness this remarkable event from an area ideally situated for maximum effect. During the day there's plenty to keep you busy. Visit the Aurora Ice Museum, see the World Ice Art Championships, have a drink at an Ice Bar and learn about dog sledding.
- Trails of the Iditarod - Get a taste of Alaska's famed dog sled race on this seven-day tour which includes camping, dog sledding/mushing, hiking and various outdoor activities.
- Alaska's Glacier Country Yacht Adventure - Sail round-trip from Juneau on an eight-day adventure cruise. Kayaking, rafting and wildlife viewing in Glacier Bay, whale watching near Icy Strait Point, bear viewing on Admiralty Island and scenic cruising are some of the many highlights.
- Alaska Wildlife Escape - Bear observation at Wolverine Creek, hiking among glaciers, full day exploration and hiking in Denali, wildlife cruise in Kenai Fjords National Park, special Alaskan Salmon dinner and Alaska Sealife Center behind the scenes tour are part of this wildlife focused six-day tour.
Humpback whales in North Pass between Lincoln Island and Shelter Island in the Lynn Canal north of Juneau, Alaska.
- Alaska Active Escape - Experience the rugged frontier spirit of Alaska on this six-day tour which includes kayaking, whitewater rafting, hiking and wildlife spotting. Trek the Kenai Peninsula, cruise Kachemak Bay State Park, visit the Carl E. Wynn Nature Center and the Alaska Sealife Center.
- Alaska Adventure - This independent tour has you picking up a rental car when you arrive at Anchorage then setting off on an adventure packed 10-day drive. Explore scenic routes with thrilling views round-trip from Anchorage to Denali Park and the Kenai Peninsula. Choose your own adventures along the way like a scenic float trip down the Nenana River, thrilling helicopter flight over the glaciers of Denali National Park, a cruise into Kenai Fjords National Park for wildlife viewing and a fishing charter in Homer to catch salmon, halibut, lingcod and more.
- Off the Beaten Path - Combine adventure with comfort on this six-day land tour in conjunction with an Alaskan cruise. Sleep in the wilderness on the edge of America's largest National Park, Wrangell-St. Elias, with its glaciers and trails popular with hikers from around the world. A Natural History tour in Denali National Park, scenic highways and rail journeys plus a range of adventure tours from the remote wilderness lodges you'll be staying at make this a very comprehensive tour.
- Alaska's Arctic - Marvel at the vastness of Alaska's Arctic on excursions from Fairbanks. Fly over the Yukon River Valley and Brooks Mountain Range then enjoy a ceremonious landing on the Arctic Circle. Or, take a full day excursion to Cold Foot and Anaktuvuk Pass in the Gates of the Arctic National Park. The trip of a lifetime!
- Heli Skiing - This is the ultimate winter adventure for advanced-intermediate and expert skiers. Fly by helicopter to remote areas where there's fresh powder on hundreds of peaks as far as you can see. You and your friends are alone in Alaska's mountains for this amazing ski experience.
By Susan Milne