Soft Adventure in Mexico
Wanting to stay active on your vacation with a little soft adventure? Mexico is a good choice for your revitalizing escape. The jungles, mountains, waterways and coastlines of this diverse country offer a myriad of soft adventure activities. From adrenalin junkies to those who simply like to be active, you'll find plenty to keep you busy and fit while visiting Mexico.
Mexico is a superb snorkeling destination.
Photo: Mexico Tourism
From the deserts of the north to the jungles of the Yucatan Peninsula, nature supplies the conditions for some intriguing activities. Check out these options:
Sea of Cortes and Baja Peninsula
- Travel to Los Islotes, rock protrusions rising from the Sea of Cortes, to swim with sea lion pups.
- Hike across the Ensenada Grande Sur for breathtaking views of the east coast.
- Kayak to the pristine Candelero Bay or Coralito Bay for swimming, snorkeling and marine life viewing.
- See the beauty of the desert landscape meeting the tranquil waters of the Sea of Cortes while on a wildlife viewing cruise. Watch for pods of dolphins along with blue, fin, sei, orca and sperm whales.
Puerto Vallarta & Riviera Nayarit
- Experience the thrill of deep sea fishing at Puerto Vallarta where you'll find trophy-size marlin, sailfish, mahi mahi and tuna.
- Participate in an educational program at the Dolphin Adventure Center; swim with dolphins, interact with sea lions or be a trainer for a day.
- Take an eco-adventure tour to the Marietas Islands where you can swim, snorkel and kayak to spot dolphins, whales, giant manta rays, sea turtles and tropical fish.
- Zip line, swing through the trees or hike in the tropical forest.
Deep sea kayak adventure.
Photo: Mexico Tourism
Monarch Butterfly Trail
- A 10-day circle tour from Mexico City along the Mexico Monarch Butterfly Trail takes you through scenic countryside, towering forests, volcanic highlands, National Parks and colonial towns. View the butterflies at their winter homes; the magnificent mountaintop sanctuary of El Rosario and the Sierra Chincua Reserve.
- Explore the famed Mayan ruins of Chichén Itzá and visit the caves of Balankanché, once used for Mayan ceremonies.
- Explore the archeological site of Uxmal then visit a working hacienda.
- Enjoy a refreshing swim in the crystal clear waters of the cenotes.
- Dive and snorkel around the coral reefs of Cozumel. The crystal clear water and abundant sea life make this one of the best places in the world for reef diving.
- Hike, mountain bike and horseback ride to appreciate the beautiful natural scenery of the area around the colonial city of San Cristóbal de las Casas.
- Swim at the spectacular Agua Azul with its stepped waterfalls.
- Explore the archeological sites and Mayan ruins of Palenque.
- Take a jungle walk to look for toucans, macaws and howler monkeys.
Mexico's natural land and seascapes certainly provide an excellent backdrop for a range of soft adventure activities. Why not try some of these revitalizing activities on your next Mexican vacation?
For more places and options, see the Spotlight article, Mexico's Vacation Playgrounds.
By Susan Milne