Shrimp a la Diabla
July 2018 | By Holland America Line |
For even more “devilish” spice, increase the amount of chipotle chile to a full tablespoon. Serve with rice.
- 8 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into ½-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
Toast guajillo chiles in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 2 to 6 minutes; transfer to bowl.
Heat oil in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, Stir in tomato sauce, water, and toasted chiles, bring to simmer, and cook until chiles are softened, about 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to blender and process until smooth, about 30 seconds. Return sauce to now-empty pot and stir in shrimp. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until shrimp are cooked through and completely opaque, 5 to 7 minutes.
Transfer shrimp to individual plates. Stir cilantro and lime juice into sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over shrimp, drizzle with extra oil, and serve with lime wedges.